The “Association of Relatives and Friends of People with Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders of the Prefecture of Ioannina” is a non-profit association, legal entity under private law, established by 2017 with the activation of sensitized people, specialists and non-specialists, as well as caregivers of people with dementia.
Similar associations exist in many areas of our country. Recognizing the need for representation and social intervention of people with dementia, the Association was created with the primary purpose of providing social, medical, counseling and legal support to patients with dementia in their families.
The aim is the coordination and cooperation of all stakeholders in the context of raising awareness around the needs of the patient with dementia and the creation of services and conditions that will improve the quality of life of patients with dementia and their caregivers.
Also goals of the Association are:
• Informing members about Alzheimer’s disease and other types of dementia, related disorders and neurodegenerative diseases in general (prevention, symptoms, early diagnosis, course, development, support, treatment).
• Patient education and counseling, informing patients’ families, the general population and community stakeholders to reduce the social, financial, psychological and emotional costs of long-term care for patients with mental and neurodegenerative diseases.
• The cultivation of relations of communication, solidarity, cooperation and social contacts between the members of the Association.
• The organization and holding of any kind of awareness events of the members of the Association and the general public.
• Supporting the research, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and care of patients with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders as well as expanding access to and information on mental health and neurodegenerative diseases.
• The promotion of volunteering in the fields of mental health and social solidarity.
• The creation of support groups for all kinds of issues of patients, their families and their caregivers.
•The organization and participation in activities that offer to society as a whole in matters of mental health and dementia in collaboration with local government or other social bodies in Greece and abroad.
• The publication and promotion of the social and other needs of the patients and the training of the public for their acquaintance with the specific diseases.
• Supporting and promoting policies regarding the legalization and regulation of all kinds of issues and rights issues of patients, their families and carers.
• The pursuit of achieving the purpose of the association is done by any appropriate and legal means, such as, indicatively, are:
• Organizing research and studies in the community and publishing their results, independently or in collaboration.
• Establishment and operation of structures for psychosocial support, information and education of people with Alzheimer’s and related disorders (Day Centers, Clubs, Mobile Units, Memory Clinics, Counseling Stations, etc.).
• Organization of lectures, conferences, workshops, exhibitions, seminars, educational activities and any events and related activities to support the purpose of the Association.
• Organization of services for the physical and mental health of individuals, families and carers with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders.
• Implementation of projects and programs, state-owned, co-financed and the European Union, independently or in collaboration with other bodies, public or private.
• The holding of events and meetings for the moral, social, scientific and material support of the Association, as well as for the general information and awareness of the public on issues of dementia, mental health and neurodegenerative diseases.
• The publication of magazines, printed and audiovisual material, for information and awareness about Alzheimer’s issues and related disorders.
• The dissemination and publication of the work of the Association in any appropriate way (publications, newsletters, creation or participation in television and radio shows, etc.).
• The creation and use of a website, e-mail and social networks.
• Cooperation and networking with other associations, Associations and other bodies with a common or similar purpose and goals.
The cooperation and exchange of knowledge with greek and foreign associations and institutions, as well as with public or private bodies and organizations for Alzheimer’s disease, dementia and neurodegenerative diseases in general.
• Participation in federations with the same or similar purposes to the Association.
• Participation in Greek and international research, scientific, informational, voluntary or other programs related to the purposes of the Association.
• The organization and support of a network of volunteers in the context of promoting the purpose and work of the Association.
• Collaborate with government authorities to inform, exchange views and implement research and other programs to promote the interests of people with Alzheimer’s and related disorders.
The seat of the Association is the city of Ioannina.